As for the survey, it helps to find matches between users, and sites such as Zoosk and Match.com attach great importance to this. Since the survey can help find among all the available options "people that you may like".
Thus, the cost of this element of a dating site includes the development of the following functions:
- Search by filters: gender, age range, distance to the user (or place of residence), height, religion, purpose of dating, etc.
- Recommendations based on questionnaires and personality tests. Now for the analysis of such data it is customary to use deep neural networks.
Messaging (chat, video chat)
Real-time instant messaging is another essential feature of a dating site. It can be implemented as a text chat, video chat, or a regular call. Text chat is required, the remaining options are optional. Some sites, such as Zoosk,
have created a special messenger for more convenient communication between users.
What features need to be created to communicate users:
- instant messaging;
- adding participants to the list of friends;
- the possibility of expressing emotions (smiles, emoji);
- tools for minimal text formatting.
Security on dating sites
has two sides. On the one hand, you need to protect the server from hacking
and unauthorized interference. On the other hand, to protect users from fraud, which in this market very much. Malefactors use another's photos and data to get trust in the interlocutor and to entice money from him.
Safety features that you can use:
- Confirmation via phone, social networks or recommendations of verified users.
- The creation of "blacklists", finding that blocking the ability to communicate and view the profile.
- Complaints about incorrect data in the profile, fake profiles and other people's photos.
Some, not very successful, dating sites have tried to introduce a system of reputations and reviews. This idea failed because it is better to immediately delete the accounts of dishonest users, forbid them to create new profiles and block by IP.
In addition, what can say a high rating on a dating site? That a user has met many people, has a lot of conversations, or has received a maximum of invitations for dating within a certain period of time is not the best advertisement for dating.
Dating sites earn millions of dollars, for example, Zoosk
earns $ 200 million, Match.com - $ 450 million, Tinder - $ 800 million. They earn these sites in the following ways:
- Paid membership. Users pay a small amount, $ 5–20, once a month for the ability to search and communicate. Sometimes it's not a subscription, but a one-time payment.
- Premium accounts and services. Monetization of access to certain functions or their advanced features. For example, at Tinder, you can expand the search distance for money. Other services sell places in the top search lists, the ability to view an unlimited number of profiles, digital gifts, etc.
- Advertising. Usually we are talking about advertising goods and services. Sometimes the service also allows users to pay a subscription "without advertising".
More dating sites earn by selling data about users. Not personal information (name, photo, address), but statistical data. This usually happens without the knowledge and consent of users, which is not always legal.
With this functionality, the administrator manages
the site, monitors its performance, user actions and monetization. So, through the panel, the administrator connects new payment gateways, creates user roles, deletes accounts and sets up the work of marketing tools
The basic tools of the administrative functions include:
- User base management, profiles, roles.
- Analytics and reporting.
After testing the concept and MVP,
you can add funds to manage your concern, financial instruments, advertising, and more. What exactly you will add, you need to decide in advance to create an opportunity to integrate the necessary functionality. Without this, compatibility issues may occur.
Calculating the cost of creating a site for dating, it is impossible not to allocate money for the development of a mobile application
. Because without it, you will lose up to 80% of the market. In this case, you also need to follow the path of least resistance: first create the MVP,
test and improve it, and only after that release the application to the market.
You can create an application yourself, which gives more control over the process, or you can with the help of an outsourced development company. The latter option is preferable, since it will require less effort, will cost less and you will be able to get quality guarantees.
Cost of developing additional features for a dating site
The basis of most dating sites is the same: lists of users, several filters and means for communication (basic functions). While they differ in additional features that may be unique or differently implemented.
Improved Mobile Experience
Zoosk's Burrit-OH app that selects people based on “compatibility” with burritos
Increasing the popularity of mobile applications is a trend that is hard to ignore. And it concerns not only services for online dating, but also the entire Internet as a whole. Therefore, companies, whatever they do, try to release their own application
and make it more convenient and pleasant to use than the competition.
Mobile Experience Improvement Tools:
- Progressive Web Application (PWA). It works in full screen mode, uses alerts, integrates with other applications and services, has a standalone (offline) mode and so on. In short, this is an application that uses the capabilities of the smartphone and the platform to the maximum.
- Cross platform. In a simple version, this is an application that can work on Android, iOS and other platforms. In the complex - this is a service that can be accessed from any platform, like access to a Google or Apple account.
- Targeting a narrow niche. The Zoosk dating site has the Burrit-OH app (it’s not the main one), which helps to find a couple based on people's love for the burrito. This is a great example of how you can stand out by targeting a narrow niche.
The cost of PWA - from 2 thousand dollars (70 hours), cross-platform - from 8.5 thousand dollars. Creating a niche application costs from 5 thousand dollars. If the site already has an application, the niche option will be cheaper, since in this case only a new design and a few additional filters will be needed.
Advanced search and selection
Most dating sites
use "open databases" to bring people together: "Look what we have, and choose it yourself." More advanced services, such as Zoosk, use “patented behavioral matching mechanisms” that take into account profile data, questionnaires, and past user experience, and make recommendations based on them “you can like this person, take a closer look”.