With all its benefits, Single Page Application has some disadvantages that restrain the growth of popularity:
Single-page web applications are well suited for developing dynamic platforms, with a small amount of data. In addition, if you need to build a mobile application in the future, the SPA is perfect as a base. The main disadvantage that holds back the rapid growth in popularity of SPA is poor SEO optimization. Projects where SEO is a top priority should use Multi Page Application (MPA).
Multi Page Application (MPA)
- Simple SEO optimization. The architecture of MPA allows you to easily optimize every page for search engines. A developer can add meta tags for any page.
- Easy development. Typically, developing a multi-page application requires a smaller stack of technologies.
- Many solutions. Using MPA you can find a suitable boxed solution. For example, use Magento, OpenCart to develop an e-commerce web application or Dolphin, Elgg for the development of social networks.
Disadvantages of MPA:
- It takes a lot longer to develop mobile applications. In most cases, you will need to coding back-end from scratch.
- It is difficult to separate front-end and back-end. As a rule, they interact very closely with each other. The work of front-end and back-end developers is becoming more complicated.
The main advantage of MPA is good SEO optimization and a lot of box solutions.
MPA or SPA
Each architecture has its advantages and disadvantages and is well suited to a particular type of project. SPA is distinguished by its speed and the ability to develop a mobile application based on the ready-made code. But at the same time, SPA has a poor SEO optimization. Thus, this architecture is an excellent approach for SaaS platforms, social networks, closed communities, where search engine optimization does not matter. MPA is more suitable for online stores, business sites, catalogs, marketplaces like Etsy etc. Well-optimized MPA has a high performance but still does not allow you to easily develop a mobile application. MPA and SPA with the right architecture are well suited for developing scalable web applications. I hope this article was useful. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them.